Playgrounds and Play Areas
Playgrounds are an essential element of child development and education. The State of California requires all public playgrounds meet the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) guidelines and the ASTM International standards.
To assist our member districts in meeting these requirements and keeping playgrounds accessible and safe for our students, SIA offers the following:
- Inspection checklist template
- Playground Safety & Warning Labels
- Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI) Course. This course may be offered at the SIA office or SIA will reimburse our member districts the cost of the course and exam once the course is completed. For additional information, please contact Prevention Services.
- Certified Playground Safety Inspectors to assist your staff with new playground audits and new playground plan reviews.
- Accessibility guidance – school play areas should provide access so all students can interact and experience the benefits of the playground. To learn about federal and state provisions for equipment, accessible routes and transfer systems contact our ADA Specialist.
- Other resources: IPEMA Certified Products