Emergency Preparedness & Planning
Provides training, resources and technical assistance to establish a school/community environment which is physically and emotionally safe, well disciplined, and conducive to learning.
Comprehensive School Safety Plan Reminder, Legislative Update, and School Safety Resources
Provides training, resources and technical assistance in preparedness for, immediate response to, and mitigation of the aftermath of school safety crises.
- Active Shooter – Information and resources for dealing with active shooters.
- Bio-terrorism – Information and resources for dealing with bio-terrorism threats.
- Coping with Tragedy – Helpful resources to assist schools in helping students to cope with tragic events.
- Crisis Response – Helpful resources to assist school districts with the ongoing concerns of the mental health aspects of crisis planning and crisis response.
Provides training, resources, and technical assistance in the establishment of a school/community environment that is physically and emotionally safe, well disciplined, and conducive to learning.
- Behavioral Intervention Strategies and Supports – We can keep students in school and hold them accountable. Research on student engagement, academic success, dropout and graduation rates has shown the need to replace punitive discipline practices.
- Bullying & Hate Motivated Behavior Prevention – Provides resources for parents, administrators, and students on how bullying can be prevented and addressed. Resources include publications, sample policies, and frequently asked questions.
- Equal Opportunity & Access – Discloses the practices of the California Department of Education to ensure equal, fair, and meaningful access to its employment and program services.
- Positive School Climate – Information regarding the importance of positive school climate and resources to improve school climate.
- Unsafe School Choice Option Provisions – Information regarding the Unsafe School Choice Option (USCO) provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act.
- Learning Communities for School Success Program – This program was established following the passage of Proposition 47, the Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act (SMSA).
- Learning Communities for School Success Program Stakeholders Meeting – The Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Fund: Learning Communities for School Success Program Stakeholders Meeting was held at the California Department of Education on November 30, 2016.
At the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) our goal is to provide you with direct and easy access to pertinent emergency preparedness information and resources as they relate to schools throughout California and the nation. We hope you find the information provided below as a valuable tool in planning for, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from an emergency or disaster.
The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Safe and Healthy Students has administered the REMS TA Center to serve two critical functions to support a safe and supportive learning environment for children, faculty, staff, and others. We build the preparedness capacity (including prevention, protection, mitigation, response, and recovery efforts) of schools, school districts, and institutions of higher education (IHEs), and their community partners at the local, state, and Federal levels. We also serve as the primary source of information dissemination for schools, school districts, and IHEs for emergencies via the REMS TA Center Website.
Emergency preparedness is critical for all students, staff and visitors at your school, but even more so for individuals who require assistance during an evacuation. There are a significant number of considerations for the evacuation process which must be planned in advance in order to be effectively implemented in the midst of an emergency situation. These planning documents can assist your school in developing integrated written emergency evacuation planning and procedures for the people who need it most.
ACTIVE SHOOTER RESOURCES
Active Shooter Template Policy (OES approved)